Lesson 1 of 0
Lesson 1: A Brief History of Carbon Markets
OBJECTIVE & KEY LEARNINGS
The main goal of this training is:
- Provide a summary of the evolution of carbon markets and their role mitigating for climate change.
At the end of the training, participants should be able to:
- Recall the reasons that carbon market exist as a solution to human induced climate change.
- List the key milestones and initiatives that led to the current state in carbon markets.
- Describe the lessons learned during the Kyoto Protocol that are being addressed through the implementation of the Paris Agreement.
DOCUMENT REFERENCE AND CHECKLIST
- Stern Review on the Economics of Climate Change. 2006.
- For detailed information on the Kyoto Protocol, please visit: https://unfccc.int/kyoto_protocol
- The World Bank. 2018. “Carbon Markets under the Kyoto Protocol: Lessons Learned for Building an International Carbon Market under the Paris Agreement,” World Bank Working Paper, Washington, DC.
- For detailed information on the Paris Agreement, please visit: https://unfccc.int/process-and-meetings/the-paris-agreement
- For more information on bilateral agreements, please examine this Gold Standard Foundation report: https://www.goldstandard.org/sites/default/files/implementing_article_6-an_overview_of_preparations_in_selected_countries.pdf