- This event has passed.
Scope 3: The HOW for Net Zero – All4Climate PreCOP26 Event
September 20, 2021 @ 5:00 pm - 6:30 pm
To avoid the worst climate impacts, the world needs to reach net-zero total GHG emissions between 2063 and 2068 , meaning that human-caused emissions should decreased as close to zero as possible. In the transition to a low carbon economy, the private sector plays a crucial role, as it is responsible for the majority of global emissions. The limiting factor, however for many companies is the complex challenge of Scope 3, or value chain emissions, where the majority of emissions reside for many companies.
The Value Change Initiative will host a discussion with the Science Based Targets Initiative and companies to explore how businesses can take climate action in and beyond their value chains and credibly report progress toward their performance targets.
- Best practices for companies reducing and removing value chain emissions with case studies from Purchased Goods and Services
- Innovation and new directions around accounting and inventory reporting, claims like net-zero and carbon neutrality, and benefit sharing among value chain participants
- Opportunity and risks of low-carbon commodities and new Scope 3 market mechanisms as an extension of the voluntary carbon market, including objectives and progress of pilot projects from ISEAL standards
- Capacity building for companies and project developers to scale up efforts and accelerate progress to net-zero value chains, including the role of governments to create an enabling environment
Intro – by Francesca Palamidessi, Value Chain Senior Manager, SustainCERT – 10 min
Welcome general – by Margaret N. Kim, Chief Executive Officer, Gold Standard – 5 min
Panel Session: Scope 3: The How to Net Zero –Collective action in Scope 3: main challenges and solutions – 40 min
- Marion Verles, Chief Executive Officer, SustainCERT
- Owen Hewlett, Chief Technical Officer, Gold Standard
- Tim Juliani, Director, US Corporate Climate Engagement, WWF (TBC)
- Cynthia Cummis, Director Private Sector Climate Mitigation, WRI
- Alberto Carillo Pineda, Managing Director of Science Based Targets, SBTi (TBC)
Scope 3: Experience and best practice – 20 min
Moderated by Sandra Genee, Head of Commercial & Partnerships, SustainCERT
Barbara Baarsma, CEO, Rabobank
Q&A – 10 min
Closing by Sandra Genee, Head of Commercial & Partnerships, SustainCERT – 5 min